Welcome to Planet Earth

Sick Buildings Bounce Back with Molecular Superhero

Posted in Health, Science by farmerjaneusa on September 30, 2009

Long after the flood waters have receded, buildings may be left unlivable. Even minor flooding or unrecognized water pooling can invite a growing hazard – mold.

For some people, certain varieties of mold can be dangerous and even deadly. Mold toxins can suppress the immune system. According to the Extention website, “Mycotoxins are chemicals produced by fungi (molds) under certain conditions.” The Health Guide states that “the type of matter on which the mold is on, the level of humidity and pH all work together to produce mycotoxins. Exposure to these mycotoxins is what can bring humans to conditions that can be deadly.”

It does not take long for the spores to find an inconspicuous haven in a structure. Occupants may experience vague symptoms and the building may be deemed as having Sick Building Syndrome (SBS) if the cause is not known. According to the CDC, biological contaminants are one of four major areas of concern when dealing with SBS. Mold can gain a foothold in hard to see or seldom visited areas such as ceiling tiles or air ducts.

Once established, the spores will hide out, waiting for the next opportunity to flourish. Homeowners may feel they have cleaned up sufficiently, even dutifully hiring contractors to rip out and replace affected sections of their homes. Assuming that simply drying wet building surfaces or areas is sufficient to avoid mold problems is a hazardous mistake. According to the article “Don’t Make These Top Ten Toxic Black Mold Mistakes” by lindyphil, “…if toxic mold spores and mold colony growths run out of moisture, they do not die. Instead, mold becomes dormant, patiently waiting for high humidity or a future water leak to resume mold growth.”

There is an alternative to abandoning your mold infested property or living with a dormant dangerous monster. For those who fear debilitating allergic reactions to the dreadful black mold and its many cousins, the solution is a molecular superhero.

The Center for Indoor Research states “that chlorine dioxide gas can be effective to a degree as a fumigant for the inactivation of certain fungal colonies…” Chlorine dioxide fumigation took center stage during the Anthrax scare in October of 2001. The potentially affected buildings were successfully fumigated with a technique patented by Sabre Technical Services and utilized by it’s subsidiary, Bio-One. According to Realty Times, “Although the jury is still out on the health effects of household mold, the same chlorine-gas fumigation process that Bio-One uses on anthrax and other bio-hazards appears to work well on mold.”

In a report by the Center for Indoor Air Research, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Health Sciences Center of Texas Tech University, the fungi Stachybotrys chartarum, Chaetomium globosum, Penicillium chrysogenum, and Cladosporium cladosporioides were all pitted against chlorine dioxide gas. “C. globosum colonies were inactivated an average of 89%. More than 99% of ascospores of C. globosum were nonculturable.” All others were completely inactivated. According to an EPA Guidance Manual, “Alternative Disinfectants and Oxidants”, chlorine dioxide is “a strong oxidant and disinfectant. Its disinfection mechanisms are not well understood, but appear to vary by type of microorganism.”

In small scale applications of non-porous surfaces, simply applying liquid chlorine dioxide with a spray bottle or dampened cloth is an effective use of this non-toxic fungicide.

Chlorine dioxide has long been implemented in hospital settings and food and other industries as a sanitizing agent and for water purification. Chlorine dioxide is becoming popular as a dietary supplement often called Miracle Mineral Supplement, coined by the gold assayer turned researcher, Jim Humble. The quality of life has been raised for those suffering from debilitating illnesses such as Malaria and AIDS, thanks to the diligent efforts of those that believe in the power and importance of chlorine dioxide.

Chlorine dioxide is a selective killer inside the body. Because of the manner in which it inactivates or destoys disease causing fungus, bacteria and virus, friendly flora native to the human body are not directly affected. Although high concentrations of chlorine dioxide will irritate skin and give off explosive gas, it breaks down into harmless components over a short period of time, though not briefly enough to not dispatch pathogens. This allows it to be used in buildings, in water and directly on food and in and of itself not have to be removed, such as already existent mycotoxins from mold.

This simple molecule is relatively cheap and efficient and non-toxic in lower concentrations, as well as having a wide spectrum of applications. When used properly it can save property, resources, and improve the quality of life. Although it is gaining popularity among the general public, applications for pioneers are still being taken. Clinical and laboratory research is still sorely needed. The truth about this simple and effective molecular superhero needs advocates willing to spread accurate and complete information.

%d bloggers like this: